Friday, June 23, 2006

And Sometimes All You Need Are Some Snakes…

We talk a lot on this blog about what you need to do to get a bookseller to give you that coveted front of store placement, but perhaps we’re being too logical about this. You see, not too long ago my lone male coworker (I don’t know how he puts up with all of us) told me this story about a movie that went viral on the internet before it had even been made. The movie, Snakes on a Plane, starred Samuel L. Jackson, and inspired so much internet hubbub that the producers even included a fan produced soundtrack.

At the time this conversation only inspired a “Why, Sam Jackson? Why?” from me, and a few giggles. Something the coworker has reinforced by randomly bringing up the subjects “snakes” and “planes,” but I have been snake plane free for the last month or so…until today.

Today I’m busting through a shipment of boxes, bemoaning my sore head and the fact that I don’t need most of this stuff, when what should I find? Why a book based on the screenplay of the movie “Snakes on a Plane,” of course.

The book is going front and center on my mass market wallbay, but not only for making me laugh for five minutes straight. I mean, how can I (or any other bookseller) resist? It’s about snakes…on a M*ther F*ckin’ plane!

3 comments:

lady t said...

Hey,speaking of books based on film,did you know there's a tie-in picture book for Lady in the Water due out soon? I think it was written byy M. Knight himself.

Snakes on a plane,the book*sigh*-too bad you can't share any of the contents with us,it's probaly funnier than the movie I saw today(Click).

Marta said...

Miss BookSeller Chick,

I just heard on yesterday's news that long rains and current heat have made this an ideal year for SNAKES. Could the timing of this movie and screenplay be any better?

I am so regretting not fighting my editor when she made me cut a scene with a rattler out of my novel. I was like, "A rattler bites a vampire and becomes a Vampire Rattler!" My editor was like, "Nuh-uh."

Kate said...

you had to be there, I hear.

It's wild that Hollywood heard the cry of the bloggers and:
kept the name of the movie

made sure the line about the muthaf** snakes made it into the movie.

Kind of like those old write it yourself stories for kids.