Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It lives...at the library

Since the move I've been visiting the library a great deal more than I used to and I've been reminded of what a great catalog we have here in Portland. My reasons for library-ing it instead of buying are many-- the proximity, the economy, the fact that I no longer receive free books--but the result is the same:

I'm wait-listed, like everyone else.

It seems the world has rediscovered free:

Check out all the coolness of the most wonderful library comic of all at Unshelved.com.

Too bad a crappy economy means that while circulation is up, the money for library budgets is probably in the tank.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I work for a large system, with multiple branches - and circulation has spiked the most in those areas that we consider our more "affluent." Circulation at our "working class" branches has held steady - but then these are the communities that have always traditionally used the library. Whether the economy is going gangbusters or in the toilet.

I haven't had a chance to look at hard Internet usage numbers - but the librarians in the field tell me that computer usage is through the roof. A scary thought since it's never exactly been slow for us.

And yes, budgets are tanking. We're "OK" where I work at for the moment - but a new fiscal year is coming up for us in July and we're all crossing our fingers.

Bookseller Chick said...

It doesn't surprise me that it is just the affluent areas experiencing the spike. As a kid we always went to the library, that's where we got our books, and I don't remember making the transition to bookstores until the family business really caught on.

When I walked into our local branch the other day, there were lines to use the computers and the holds shelves were packed. For the first time in my library patronage my hold was actually pulled on time, instead of still being there when I arrived a day late.

If you do run across any hard numbers that you would like to share I would love to see them. I would also love to know which books are getting checked out more just to see if it correlates to anything.

Thanks for dropping by,

Linsey