Thursday, October 20, 2005

The irony of it all...

After all those people asking about the Nicholas Sparks book, I didn't sell a single one on its release day. I did, however, sell massive amounts of Amy Tan's newest, Saving Fish from Drowning, without even trying. Most conversations went like this:

Customer (holding up Tan's book): What have you heard about this?

Me: Well, I haven't read--

Customer: Nevermind. I don't know why I'm asking. She hasn't disappointed me yet. I'll take it.

Me: Oh...okay. Do you want any chocolate or bookmarks with that?

Sadly they didn't really seem that tempted by my blatant add-on pitch, but hey, they bought the book from us instead of Costco (which is where most of the Sparks readers were going, a customer told me the next day, after she failed to get me to knock another dollar off the price. Apparently they had it for less).

No comments: