Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Oh My God, I'm going to be late for work!

I’m going to blame atmospheric pressure for the fact that I didn’t put up anything yesterday. I had plenty of links, thoughts, and the start of a mental diatribe that would transfer well to paper, but I just felt bleh. Unmotivated. This doesn’t affect my work because there are people there, demanding my attention, asking questions, there’s no time to feel bleh. But at home?

Blehness indeed. Especially when I take into account that I have a huge amount of cleaning to do.

This half-assed apology has nothing to do with today though, where though I feel like the recently reanimated dead (zombie anyone?) I have many links and other fun things to share with you. Go buy grocercies? Hah! That can wait another day. Cleaning? Why? Nothing here has killed me yet.

Um, anywho…

The newest scandal to breach the internet waters is the fact that the website Absolute Write was taken down, apparently due to a vindictive agent on their 20 worst agents list. Teresa Hayden of Making Light has the heads up on this folly as well as some solutions (in the comments section).

Christopher Moore saves Prom! Yep, you heard me. Meg Cabot covers the whole thing on her blog (towards the bottom of the post). And then, to make it even better, he posted his “I do not read” essay on his website (and you people wonder why I love this man). This essay is the perfect example of not only why some people shouldn’t do their own readings (it’s not a requirement), but some of the humorous ways you can deflect doing a reading. Yes, he did have to read this, but he looked pained the entire time. In a funny way, of course.

Yet another blog is becoming a book, says GalleyCat, and this time it is David Lorenzo who wrote Career Intensity. I don’t know if this bothers me less because it is a business book, or because I’m just getting so run down by the blog to book transitions that I don’t care anymore. As long as it isn’t My Space to books…I would hate to have more Myspace Junkies running around (thanks to Fuse#8 for the link).

The Written Nerd continues her BEA information relay (okay, yes, I did just want that to rhyme, I told you that I’m zombie girl today), with a blog entitled, “Blogs, Books, and the Anti-Indie Backlash.” This column is thought-provoking and thoroughly distracting because it hits on stuff that I’ve been thinking about (due to the articles she mentions, your reactions in the “Authors Behaving Badly” column where you talked of booksellers—indie and chain—behaving badly, and my own interactions with different chains and indie bookstores).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy CRAP!

That is so, so wrong about Absolute Write. It looks like the site owner is on top of the situation, though, and is finding a new ISP for the site.

Mad Scientist Matt said...

Thanks for covering this scandal about the scam agent tantrum. AW should be back up tomorrow... along with dozens of new copies and mirrors of the Twenty Worst Agents List.

lady t said...

Thanks for the multi-links there,BSC. Don't feel you have to apologize for not blogging right away-even bloggers need to experience this thing called real life:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning Career Intensity.

The book was actually written and being edited long before I started the blog. The book came first.

In the end, I’m just happy to share my ideas with people. That’s what is important to me.

Kate said...

Why he won't read? Poor Aunt Shirley. (cheerios for fuck's sake! look at the box. then who's that kid on the milk carton?)

Damn he's funny.