Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Book Stalker

I’ve decided I’m going to begin stalking authors. Not in a “sneak around outside their homes, hide in the bushes, follow them to their local coffee shop and become this like them in a Single White Female” kind of way, but in “get over your damn shyness and email them” already kind of way. I need to get started now because I’ll have a box of homework by the 20th and severely less time (especially if they keep me on for a few more weeks with the bookie job).

And the first author I plan on stalking?

Chelsea Cain.*

Ms. Cain has gone from writing funny memoirs and a satirical take on Nancy Drew to writing Heart Sick which contains a serial killer that sounds like she could take on Hannibal in the twisted department.

From Minotaur:

Portland Detective Archie Sheridan spent ten years tracking Gretchen Lowell, a beautiful serial killer, but in the end she caught him. Gretchen kidnapped Archie and tortured him for ten days, then she released him, and turned herself in. Now Gretchen is locked away, while Archie is in a prison of another kind—addicted to pain killers and powerless to erase those ten days from his mind.He continues to visit Gretchen in prison once a week, saying he wants her to confess the whereabouts of more of her victims, but he knows the truth is that he just can’t stay away.

When another killer begins snatching teenage girls, Archie knows that he has to pull himself together and investigate the murders. Newspaper reporter Susan Ward begins following Archie’s investigation, sparking a deadly game between Archie, Susan, the new killer, and even Gretchen. They need to catch a killer, and maybe somehow Archie can free himself from Gretchen once and for all.

Intrigued? I am. Being from the Northwest, with our preponderance of serial killers, the idea of a female serial killer pulling the strings of some other character is fascinating to me. So to is the idea that this all takes place in Portland where the “keep Portland weird” culture—if done right—could practically be another character. But if that’s not enough, look at the galleys** (which sparked my stalking needs weeks ago)!







Way to push me over edge of want to need. I must find Chelsea Cain and fast.

*Here’s hoping she compulsively googles her name and contacts me, thus making this whole stalking thing that much easier.

**Pictures shamelessly stolen from Super Librarian whom I’m jealous of because she has a copy.

3 comments:

Robin Brande said...

but in a “get over your damn shyness and email them” already kind of way.

BSC, good for you. Someone has to start acting like authors are normal people sitting around like everyone else, checking our e-mail several thousand times a day just to see if anyone has sent the kind of letter you're talking about.

Go ahead and make some author's day. Good things will come of this.

David de Beer said...

>checking our e-mail several thousand times a day just to see if anyone has sent the kind of letter you're talking about.

really? don't you have a novel published already? I thought that would be only those of us who were getting started.
of course, I check my mail box regularly so I can promptly respond to an acceptance letter; it's not needy, it's efficient!

Seriously, though, what Robin says makes sense, authors wouldn't mind giving up a bit of time for some free promo, and you have good following here, so it's a big incentive.

Wendy said...

Steal away. I actually got this ARC thanks to a library rep at Holtzbrinck (who owns St. Martin's, Tor, and a slew of others). Bless her heart, she's my new favorite person.